I was so excited when I learned that we would be receiving the "My Baby Can Talk" series to review. I have been wanting to teach Lilly signing because I saw how great it can be through my best friend and her daughter. I knew the sign for milk, so I have been signing that to her since she was about 3 months old...she doesn't sign it to me but she definitely knows what the sign means when I sign it to her and I think that is so cool! Lilly is only 6 months so it is a little on the early side but I think exposing her to the signs as often as possible will really help her learn and catch on more quickly.
My Baby Can Talk is a series of award winning DVDs and board books that teaches babies and parents to communicate at an early age, reducing frustration and creating a special bond that is so important for healthy child development. Babies are able to communicate at a much earlier age than they are able to speak. Research has shown that babies who use sign language tend to speak sooner with larger vocabularies, show an increase in IQ scores and engage in more sophisticated play.
We received 3 board books and 3 DVD's, "First Signs", "Exploring Signs" and "Sharing Signs". First, I am so appreciative that they are board books....books are so easily destroyed by children and board books are just so much better for rough play, chewing, etc. that all babies seem to do to books!
We have been using these books and DVD's for a couple weeks now and Lilly really seems to be enjoying them. Every night, as part of her bedtime routine, we read her stories. Now, we incorporate the "First Signs" every night so that she can learn more of the signs.
The first signs books has things such as eat, drink, shoes, dog, cat, car, etc. So every time we are about to do one of these things we sign it and then do it immediately after and then sign it again. I'm sure it will take her some time to learn the signs but for now, she is watching and soaking it all in and she really seems to enjoy the book, the pictures and the signs.
The DVD's are great too. We have watched the "First Signs" DVD since that is a good starting point and she is still very young. She LOVES the DVD. She loves watching the animals and signs and hearing the sounds. What I love about the DVD is that it tells and shows you the sign and then shows you the sign in action, like cats running around, or dogs cuddling, or kids drinking or eating. And they don't just show the action once, it is shown over and over showing different kids, animals, etc. It doesn't move quickly through the signs, so it allows the child to learn to associate the sign to the action or animal.
I really cannot rave about this product enough. I think it is amazing and I am sure that she will be ahead of the game in signing since we are exposing it to her at an early age. I mean, she already learned milk and she is only 6 months and I imagine that these books and DVD's will really help her learn the signs more quickly...PLUS, she loves them!
Now onto the giveaway! One lucky reader is going to win the My Baby Can Talk- First Signs Board Book and DVD!
Entry will be closed at 11:59PM, May 14, 2010. An e-mail will be sent to the winner and they will have 48 hours to e-mail me their address. (I will put CLOSED in the title of the post when entry is closed) **Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only**
Remember to leave your email address in a comment so that I have a way to get in contact with you!
Here are ways to earn Entries (Leave a new comment for each way you entered!):
1. REQUIRED: Visit My Baby Can Talk and tell me one benefit of teaching your children sign language.
2. Follow MamaSavesMoney on Twitter; to do so, Click HERE and choose to follow.
3. Vote for my blog on Top Mommy Blogs- Just click HERE. (you can do this once per day)
4. 2 entries- Publicly Follow my blog.
5. 2 entries- Subscribe to my blog.
6. 3 entries -Blog about this giveaway on your blog. Post the link to your blog in a comment so I can check it out. Make sure you comment 3 times so you get all of your entries!
7. Tweet about this giveaway (leave a link so I can see/can be done daily). Use the following info to tweet: #win My Baby Can Talk First Signs board book and DVD @mamasavesmoney blog #giveaway http://bit.ly/aYPiwA
8. Become a Mommy Saves Money Facebook Fan by clicking HERE.
9. Do a Facebook Status update about this giveaway, with a link to this giveaway. (Post a link to your "profile" in a comment so I can check it out!)
10. 2 entries- Grab my blog button and add it to your blog. Post a link to your blog so I can check it out and make sure to leave 2 separate comments for your two entries!
I received this product in order to do a honest review. All opinions are solely my own. Others may have different opinions. I did not receive monetary compensation for writing this review. Many thanks to My Baby Can Talk for letting me do a review of this product!